Saturday, June 27, 2009

Update from the Doctor

If you read my last blog you noticed that Mackenzie had some blood work done to see why she isn't gaining weight.

Well last night her pediatrician called me to give me the results.

They were not what we wanted to hear.

Out of all the tests he ran (I don't know how many), 2 came back irregular.

First, her pH (acid-base) levels were low. Normally they are between 22-24 and her's was at 15.

Second, her neutrophil (white blood cell) count was EXTREMELY low. Normally that should be between 2000-4000. If it gets below 1500 they begin to get worried. Mackenzie's count was at 240. That is way way way low. The first thing I thought when the doctor told me this was cancer. I know that cancer has to do with the white blood cells.

After we got the news, told our parents, and calmed down a little, I did some research on the computer.

I found out it could be anything from having a folic acid or vitamin B12 deficiency to leukemia or lupus.

The doctor also told me that he wants to redraw blood on Monday and test again because it could be that the blood wasn't handled properly, the tourniquet was on Mackenzie's arm too long(which definetely could be explained because they had a really hard time getting her blood to flow into the tube), they could have waited too long to test it, etc. There are many things that could have gone wrong the first time.

The positive thing is that she has been healthy, except for acute bronchitis a few months ago. Mackenzie is developing wonderfully. She is talking up a storm, crawling and climbing on everything she possibly can, walking along furniture and she is even learning to balance if we let go of her.

Because of all this we are thinking positively.

I am praying that it is either a mistake or that it is just a vitamin deficiency.

We are going back to the doctor on Monday and then should hear something hopefully Tuesday or Wednesday.

I will keep you updated.

All I ask is that if you read this please keep us in your prayers, and ask your friends too as well.

I know that no matter what it is, we will be ok. We just need all the support and love we can right now, especially if there is something wrong.

12 comments:

Katie said...

Hang in there! We are praying for you and Miss Mackenzie. I love you all and wish I was there to give you a big hug.

Hailey said...

Praying!
Keep us updated.

Heather said...

We will add you to our prayers. Keep your chin up! I would tell you to "Don't worry, be happy" but you are like me and worry...so I guess try to worry less and stay happy.

The Byron Family said...

i am so sorry! there is nothing worse than worrying about what could be wrong with your baby!!! fingers are crossed that everything turns out ok.
-becca

Emily said...

You'll be in our prayers. I hope everything turns out to be okay. Keep us updated. We're thinking of you.

Anonymous said...

Mackenzie is such a cutie! Love the pictures of her. She'll be in our prayers too.
Ashlyn

Christy said...

i will definitely keep you guys in my prayers. i hope everything turns out all right. love you guys!

The Reeds said...

Just wanted to let you know that we are praying for your family. Mackenzie is a beautiful little girl. Hope that you will be able to make the trip to NC so that we get to see you all.

Anonymous said...

We are thinking you guys and will keep you in our prayers..keep us updated!!
Rachel and Robby Braswell

Violet said...

Good luck today!!! You are in our prayers!!!

Anonymous said...

I was sad to hear this, but we will certainly keep her in our prayers and we'll fast on sunday for her. I hope to hear the updated much better news.
Lots of love to your cute family in CO from FL :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.