Thursday, March 13, 2008

Very Cheap Grocery Bill

Well, I have decided how to keep our grocery bill low this month, and I wanted to share it with all of you. I have decided the only things that taste really good are mashed potatoes and spaghetti noodles with butter on them. How cheap is that! And the potatoes are FREE!

We have hook-ups. Our really good friend who lives near St. George, UT runs a potato cellar thingy. So we went down to visit him 2 weekends ago and he gave us a 25 pound box of big baking potatoes. THEY ARE SO GOOD!

Adam has been bugging me to make a huge pot of mashed potatoes "whenever I felt up to it" (yes he is very understanding of my not feeling so good). So last night I made a GIGANTIC pot of potatoes. I will be eating these things for days. I just absolutely love homemade mashed potaotes. And these remind me of how Grandma used to make them. They still have chunks of potatoes in them, which I LOVE!

So I just thought I would share with all of you that if you don't want to spend a lot of money on groceries, just stick with spaghetti noodles (the sauce is just too expensive haha) and mashed potatoes! This will get the job done.

All I know is that my poor husband is probably suffereing though because he is a CARNIVOR! If any of you feel bad for him you can send him some BBQ from J&L, Bojangles cajun filets and country ham biscuits. These are all favorite NC foods of his! hehe

8 comments:

Wendi said...

I will stick to my ginormous grocery bill. That does not sound very Paula Deenish at all! lol!

Amy said...

Congrats, Meredith, on your pregnancy! That is very exciting. And btw, I'm surprised you can even write the word "chunks" so early in your pregnancy! ha ha...Thanks for posting on my blog; I hope that some of my crazy life will entertain you! Oh, and I was telling Emma about how you mentioned her. She was very upset that you had moved to Utah. She was like, "I'll never see her again!"

Anonymous said...

Well that is certainly one way to mantain a very low grocery bill....
I am like you and love them with a few chunks of potatoes in them :-)

Merde said...

Amy,

Tell Emma that I have been in Utah for 5 years now and that I will be home for June, July and part of August so she can come visit me. Oh by the way...if we have a little girl I love the name Emma! I just thought she might like that!

Michelle said...

Ahhhh!! Merde, I just read that you like the name Emma for a little girl...just have to let you know that we have had the name Emily Marie picked out forever so if we both end up with girls with basically the same name, it's not my fault!! Ok, assuming we EVER are able to get the Rankin line to produce females!

Anyways, I hope you are able to eat normal food soon! Although I love potatoes...I am just picturing your pantry stocked with potatoes and noodles and basically nothing else. Poor Adam! haha

Ashley said...

this sounds disgusting...where's the chocolate?~

Merde said...

Ashley,
You will understand someday I PROMISE!

Mishi,

That sounds great to me if either of us ever has a little girl.

stephanie howard said...

Well I am coming to Utah in April, I will be glad to bring some southern grease to your husband!