Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Sleep!!!!

I really have no idea how people do it, or how I do it. As a new mom, everyone knows, you don't get a lot of sleep. Mackenzie has decided that she wants to sleep during the day and play at night. And by play, I mean she wants to stay up and stare at you...but when you finally get her to sleep, you better hold her for another hour before you try to move. If you do move before that hour is up, she will play a little trick and wake up IMMEDIATELY! Then it is back to rocking and sitting for atleast another hour. If you lay her in her bassinet and she isn't completely out, she will stay awake and cry.

I am one of those people that can't stand to hear her cry, so I pick her back up and try it all over again.

The only place I can put her down and she pass back out is on the couch. She loves laying on the couch, with her head on a big pillow. Yes, I know you aren't supposed to put your baby on anything cushy, but it works. Don't worry, I do watch her when she is there, but she doesn't roll over anyway, so I really don't have to worry yet.

Mackenzie, right now, really loves to eat about every hour or 2 especially at night, so that means we have REALLY LONG nights! I hope things get better, but I am kinda getting used to running on no sleep.

But one exciting thing that I really hoped was going to last is....
This past Thursday night Mackenzie slept from 2:30 until 7! When I woke up at 7 (I heard her making little noises so I knew she was ok), I looked at the clock and really thought something had happened to the power or someone had changed my clock. I couldn't believe that she had slept that long. Don't worry, that was the only time that actually happened.

Maybe one day, RIGHT???

4 comments:

Michelle said...

I think having a baby has given me SOOOO much respect for mothers everywhere. Seriously, motherhood ain't for sissies, is it!?

And I remember those days...the days of getting longer than 2 hours of sleep at a time and being SHOCKED!!! The sleeping will get better, but I know what you mean, it's amazing how well you can function without sleep! The hardest time for me was always the peak middle of the night feeding...around 1 or 2 am. The other middle of the night feedings I handled ok, but that one was always extra tough!

Hang in there and enjoy the little things! You have SUCH a pretty baby!!! I can't wait to meet my little neice! :)

Katie said...

I just told your mom, after reading this post, that I WILL DIE! How are you functioning? I can seriously see myself accidentally mistaking my child for a load of laundry the next day, if I'm running on that little sleep. On a more serious note, come visit. You can sleep, and I will hold Mackenzie for you.

Katie said...

Ditto to my comment, from Joycious. About the baby holding, not the baby laundering.

Anonymous said...

Hang in there Meredith! Oh how I remember those days! Wish you were closer so I could take her sometimes and let you get a nap. Tell Adam to move close by so I can be your part-time nanny!

Mom